NBD: the perfect acronym for No-Bake Dessert, because these recipes are No Big Deal for those of us with micro-kitchens and no oven. I’ve made a commitment to posting at least one NBD a month, typically featuring ingredients that are fairly accessible and affordable here in Korea. Now, I can feature these recipes without the title falling off the page!
I’d be hard-pressed to find many people that don’t enjoy the decadent combination of coconut and chocolate. And even more so to find someone who didn’t enjoy a healthified, fast, and simple recipe that brings the ingredients together. This is my own version of a recipe I came across from Spoon University.
Prep Time: 1 hour
Active Prep Time: 10 minutes
Serves: depends on how much you like sweets! (makes 1 dozen cups)
- 6 tablespoons coconut oil (plus 1/2 teaspoon for later)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1½ cups unsweetened coconut flakes
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- Prepare a dozen muffin cups.
- Over medium heat, melt syrup and oil until combined and fully melted, about 4-5 minutes. Turn off heat and add in coconut flakes and vanilla, stirring to combine.
- Firmly press mixture into cups. Refrigerate for 30 minutes until cool.
- In a microwave safe bowl, melt chocolate and remaining coconut oil at 45 second increments, stirring between each until fully melted. Pour chocolate over coconut mixture and spread to cover evenly.
- Refrigerate for 20 minutes until chocolate has cooled and hardened.