When a bottle of liquor is upwards of 40,000 won, but the equivalent amount of soju is under 10,000, its hard to choose anything else. Soju, which has an alcohol concentration of about 20% is a fairly strong alcohol, but with a milder taste than the liquor we’re used to in Canada.
Most people can be found drinking soju in shots, or mixed with beer to make “somek” or cider to make “sosa” (mixed drinks in Korea tend to combine the first syllable of each drink name). Soju has a lot of potential to make other drinks, so here I share a couple recipes to amp up the soju experience.
A taste of the topics.
- 1 part Calamansi Juice
- 1 part Orange Juice
- 2+ parts soju
- Slice of lemon/lime
- Mix all ingredients in a glass and enjoy!
Soju Vitamin Hangover Cure
Why not prevent the hangover with a vitamin drink, and enjoy some soju at the same time!
- 1 part Vitamin drink of choice
- 1 part soju
- Mix together and enjoy as a shot or a sipper!
Ginger Mint Spritzer
The perfect refresher for a warm summer evening.
- Fresh ginger, sliced
- Fresh mint
- 2 teaspoons honey or sugar
- 2 shots soju
- 2 shots sparkling lime juice
- Place ginger, mint, and sweetener in glass and crush together. Top with ice and pour desired amount of soju.