A big bowl of hummus is the perfect way to enjoy a plate of freshly chopped veggies. Its a healthy, hearty alternative to other dips that are high in calorie and low in nutrition. I love that hummus is so easy to modify for different flavours. Whether its a spicy chili hummus or roasted red pepper, there are always new flavour combinations to try.
Beetroot hummus is what happens when you’ve got leftover beets to use up. The earthy flavour of beets pairs perfectly with chickpeas, and its freaking gorgeous! No plate of vegetables is complete without bursts of colour, and this deep magenta works beautifully.
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Yield: about 1 cup
- 1 cup cooked chickpeas (about ½ cup dried)
- ¼-½ water – reserved cooking water is ideal for maximum flavour
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- ½ beet, boiled or steamed
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 1 Tbsp peanut butter
- ¼ tsp cumin
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Place all ingredients in blender and blend until smooth.
- Optional: top with a drizzle of leftover water from cooking beets for presentation.